• Mahatma Gandhi had come from South Africa, where he had successfully fought against the racist regime —with a novel method of mass agitation— which he referred to as ''Satyagraha'.
• The idea of 'Satyagraha' focused on the power of truth and the need to search for truth.
• It suggested that if the cause was true, if the struggle was against injustice, then physical force was not necessary to fight the oppressor.
(+ 2 points for 5 marks' answer)
• He believed that without vengeance or being aggressive, a satygrahi could win the battle through non-violence, its dharma being the weapon to unite all Indians.
• People, including the oppressors, had to be persuaded to see the truth, instead of being forced to accept the truth through the use of violence.