For organising sports events, various committees are formed for systematic and smooth conduct of competitions/tournaments. In fact, the organisation and conduct of sports events involve a lot of planning and preparation. Generally, there is a committee of management, which is usually consisted of one representative from each institution concerned. This General Committee takes complete responsibility for the success of competition. This committee also forms various committees and divides the various types of work among them. The General Committee is headed by an Administrative Director under whom Executive Committee performs its duties. Organising committee for games/sports events works under Executive Committee.
The organising committee is mainly responsible for the successful and smooth conduct of the sports meet/sports events. Various committees are formed under this organising committee. The description of various committees and their responsibilities are stated below.
- Committee for Publicity: The committee for publicity announces the date, venues and sports events, advance information to the institutions and printing, etc. Its main responsibility is to advertise the sports events.
- Transport Committee: This committee is responsible for providing the facilities regarding transportation of various teams to the venue of sports events place or to the boarding and lodging as the case may be. Its main duty is to make necessary arrangements for transportation.
- Boarding and Lodging Committee: Boarding and lodging committee is responsible for making necessary arrangements for providing accommodation and meals to the sports persons and officials.
- Decoration and ceremony Committee: Decoration and ceremony committee is responsible for the decoration of sports arena or stadium. It is also responsible to make necessary arrangements for the opening ceremony, victory ceremony and closing ceremony of the games/sports meet. This committee also makes arrangements for trophies, medals and certificates.
- Grounds and Equipment committee: This committee is responsible for making the grounds or laying out the track and field. This committee also makes necessary arrangements of equipment related to the game/athletic meet. This committee is also responsible for providing the equipment according to specifications.
- Refreshments and Entertainment Committee: This committee takes the charge of supplying refreshments and drinks to the guests, officials and competitors, etc. It also makes some arrangements for entertainment programmes at the opening ceremony and closing ceremony of sports events.
- Reception Committee: The members of this committee are responsible to welcome the chief guests at the opening and closing ceremonies. It is also the duty of this committee to welcome the other guests and spectators.
- Committee for officials: This committee selects various officials such as referees, judges, recorders, clerks of the course, starters, track umpires, time keepers and lap scorers for athletic meet and referee, umpires, time keepers, recorders and judges, etc. in case of games as per requirement.
- First Aid Committee: First aid committee is headed by a well-qualified doctor. This committee provides first aid to the victim or affected athlete/sportsperson immediately. This committee makes the necessary arrangements for providing help prior to the organisation of sports events because athletes or sports persons may get injuries during the competitions.