1. Gilbert gave a scientific explanation that earth itself is a gigantic magnet.
2. The north pole of a freely suspended magnet settles in the direction of the geographic north pole of the earth since unlike poles attract.
3. It means that the south pole of some gigantic magnet must be near the geographic north pole of the earth.
4. In other words, the thing we call Earth’s geographic north pole is actually the south pole of the magnet inside the earth.
5. That is why a freely suspended magnet always settles in geographic north-south attracted by opposite poles of the earth as a great magnet.