Correct Answer - Option 3 : Both I and II
Magnetism is the property displayed by magnets and produced by the movement of electric charges.
- There are two types of properties of Magnet:
Attractive property: A magnet attracts magnetic substances like iron, nickel, cobalt, and some of their alloys like magnetite.
Directive property: When the magnet is freely suspended, it aligns itself in the geographical N-S direction.
- The magnet may be natural or artificial.
- A natural magnet is an oxide of iron, but due to weak magnetism and irregular shape, it is rarely used. Magnetite is well known natural magnet. It is also called Lodestone. Therefore statement I is correct.
Bar magnet, horseshoe magnet, and Robinsons ball ended magnet are examples of artificial magnets.
- The two ends of the magnet are called magnetic poles, where magnetic power is maximum.
- When the magnet is freely suspended, it aligns itself in the geographical N-S direction (North-South direction). Therefore statement II also correct.
Hence we conclude that Both I and II are correct.