Correct Answer - Option 3 : Rules for Monks
Its primary subject matter is the monastic rules of conduct for monks and nuns.
- The rules made by the Buddhist Sanghas were laid down in Vinaya Pitaka.
Tripitaka or Three Baskets is a traditional term used for various Buddhist scriptures.
- The three pitakas are Sutta Pitaka, Vinaya Pitaka and Abhidhamma Pitaka.
- It contains over 10 thousand suttas or sutras related to Buddha and his close companions.
- It also deals with the first Buddhist council which was held shortly after Buddha’s death.
- It is the collection of buddha's Sermons and Teachings.
- It is also known as the Book of Discipline.
- The subject matter of Vinay Pitaka is the monastic rules for monks and nuns.
- It deals with the governing rules of sangha and monks.
- It deals with the philosophy and doctrine of Buddhism appearing in the suttas.
Hence, the subject matter of Buddhist scripture "Vinay Pitak' rules for monks.