Correct Answer - Option 3 : Does not fail suddenly
Gravity dam is the one in which the stability against external load is achieved by the weight of the dam itself.
- This type of dam requires minimum maintenance.
- It can be constructed on any site where the natural foundation is strong enough to bear the weight of the dam.
- It is most suitable when foundation is strong.
- It may be constructed either of masonry or of concrete.
- Most of the gravity dams are solid, so that no bending stress is introduced at any point.
- The failure of this dam, if any, is not sudden. It gives enough warning time before the area to downstream side is flooded due to the damage of the structure.
7.The initial cost of a gravity dam is always higher.