Correct Answer - Option 2 : Corpus luteum
- These are the temporary endocrine structures in the female ovaries.
- It develops from an ovarian follicle during the luteal phase.
- The structure before the corpus luteum is called corpus hemorrhagic.
When the egg is not fertilized
- Stops secreting progesterone.
- The uterine lining is expelled through the vagina.
When the egg is fertilized
- Hormone hCG signal to corpus luteum for secreting progesterone.
- Production of a small amount of estrogen.
- Maintenance of pregnancy.
- If the corpus luteum is removed, abortion can occur.