Correct Answer - Option 3 : Coating with phenol
- Corrosion is the oxidation-induced deterioration of certain materials, both metals, and non-metals.
- When a substance is exposed to air or certain chemicals, it can corrode.
- It can occur on different surfaces of substances like wood, alloys, metal, etc.
- Degradation is a type of corrosion that can occur in materials such as polymers and ceramics.
- Corrosion reduces the durability of these substances.
Methods to Prevent Corrosion:
1. Coating with bisphenol -
- Steel is prevented from corrosion with the help of a coating of epoxy or polyurethane.
- These two substances used to prevent corrosion contain bisphenol-A
- These coatings act as anti-corrosion material.
- Recent researches have intrigued the use of these materials because of harmful environmental factors.
2. Barrier protection -
- Barrier coatings such as paint, plastic, or powder are one of the simplest and cheapest ways to prevent corrosion.
- To generate a thin coating, powders such as nylon, and urethane are heated to the metal surface.
- Metal surfaces are frequently treated with plastic and waxes.
- Paint is a covering that protects metal surfaces against electrochemical charges caused by corrosive substances.
3. Galvanization -
- The process of putting a protective zinc coating to iron to prevent rusting is known as galvanization.
- It extends the life of iron parts by establishing a membrane between the metal and the air, which prevents iron oxide from developing on the steel layer.
- Galvanization also provides greater corrosion protection to parts that are exposed to air.
- Galvanizing protects against rust and corrosion in several ways:
- It acts as a barrier, preventing corrosive chemicals from reaching the iron beneath.
- The zinc acts as a sacrificial anode, meaning that even if the coating is damaged, the exposed steel is still protected by the zinc that remains on it.
- The zinc surface reacts with the environment to generate a dense, adhering patina that is impervious to moisture.
4. Alloying -
- Combining the qualities of multiple metals to provide increased strength and resistance to the finished product creates a material that resists corrosion.
- For example steel, an alloy is one of the most efficient corrosion protection solutions available.
- Combining corrosion-resistant nickel with oxidation-resistant chromium and carbon makes a material that is corrosion resistant and provides better durability.
- Corrosion is the deterioration of certain materials which makes their durability affected.
- Different methods are used to prevent corrosion.
- Coating with bisphenol
- Barrier protection.
All these methods are used except the one in the given potions in the question - coating with phenol.
So, the correct answer to this question is - Coating with phenol.