Correct Answer - Option 4 : BIS
Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) is responsible for formulating Indian Standards for fresh and processed fish.
The standards in operation for Fresh and processed fish are as follows:
- BIS - Bureau of Indian Standards
- BS - British Standards
- USFDA - US Food and Drug Administration
- FAO Codex Alimentarius
- ISO 9000 series
There are 50 standards established by BIS for various fish and fishery products such as :
- Fresh fish
- Frozen fish
- Dried fish
- Cured fish
Salient features of the standard are as follows:
- Scope of standards
- Preparation of material
- Requirements of product :
- Physical aspects: Weight, size etc.
- Sensory aspects: Appearance, Color, Texture, Odour & Flavour.
- Microbiological aspects: Total plate count, E.coli, Staphylococci, Streptococci, Salmonella.
- Chemical Aspects: Moisture content, Ash, Sodium chloride, Heavy metals.
6. Packaging and Marketing
7. Sampling and Tests.
APEDA - Agricultural and Processed Food Products Export Development Authority
MPEDA - Marine Products Export Development Authority (Function: Its focus is mainly on Market Promotion, Capture Fisheries, Culture Fisheries, Processing Infrastructure & Value addition, Quality Control, Research and Development.)
AGMARK - Agricultural Marketing