Correct Answer - Option 1 : 243 (D)
The correct answer is 243 (D).
- Article 243D provides for reservation for the Scheduled Castes and the Scheduled Tribes in every Panchayat.
- Clause 1: Seats shall be reserved for (a) the Scheduled Castes; and (b) the Scheduled Tribes, in every Panchayat and,
- The number of seats of reserved shall bear the same proportion to the total number of seats to be filled by direct election in that Panchayat as the population of the SCs or STs in that Panchayat area bears to the total population of that area and,
- Such seats may be allotted by rotation to different constituencies in a Panchayat.
- Clause 2: Not less than one-third of the total number of seats reserved under clause (1) shall be reserved for women belonging to the SCs or STs.
- Clause 4: The offices of the Chairpersons in the Panchayats at the village or any other level shall be reserved for the Scheduled Castes, the Scheduled Tribes and women.
- Clause 5: The reservation of seats under clauses (1) and (2) and the reservation of offices of Chairpersons (other than the reservation for women) under clause (4) shall cease to have an effect on the expiration of the period specified in the article 334 i.e: 60 years from the commencement of this Constitution.