Correct Answer - Option 1 : Gram Panchayat
The correct answer is Gram Panchayat.
- The Gram Sabha in the Panchayat Act was entrusted with wide-ranging powers starting from consultation on land acquisition to that of ownership over minor forest produces and leasing of minor minerals.
- The Panchayat is chaired by the president of the village, known as a Sarpanch.
- The term of the elected representatives is five years.
- The Secretary of the Panchayat is a non-elected representative, appointed by the state government, to oversee Panchayat activities.
- The important functions of a Gram Panchayat:
- Providing an adequate number of street lights.
- Ensuring prompt registration and reporting of birth and deaths.
- Ensuring universal enrollment of children in primary school
- Achieving universal immunization of children.
- Providing sanitation and proper drainage.
- Construction, repair, and maintenance of public streets.
- Maintenance of records relating to the population census, crop census, cattle census.
- Drinking water.