Correct Answer - Option 1 : -q
- It is defined as the intrinsic property of certain fundamental particles like electrons, proton, etc, due to which they produce electric and magnetic effects.
- Types of electric charge
Positive charge: A body having a deficiency of electrons.
Negative charge: A body having an excess of electrons.
- Properties of electric charge
- Like charges repel and unlike charges attract each other.
- A charge is a scalar quantity.
Additivity of charge: If a system contains a number of point charges, then the total charge of the system is obtained simply by adding all the charges algebraically.
- A charge is always quantized.
- A charge will always remain conserved.
- A charge is always associated with mass.
- The unit of charge is the coulomb.
⇒ 1 coulomb = charge on 625 × 1016 electrons
Given q1 = 2q, q2 = -q, q3 = -5q and q4 = 3q
Additivity of charge:
- If a system contains a number of point charges, then the total charge of the system is obtained simply by adding all the charges algebraically.
- The total charge of the system that contains n number of charges is given as,
⇒ q = q1 + q2 + q3 + ... + qn
So the total charge stored in the system is,
⇒ q = q1 + q2 + q3 + q4
⇒ q = 2q - q - 5q + 3q
⇒ q = -q
- Hence, option 1 is correct.