Correct Answer - Option 4 : Secret ballot
The correct answer is the Secret ballot.
Elections to Gram Panchayat is done through a Secret ballot.
Election of Members and Chairpersons of Gram Panchayat:
- All the members of gram panchayats at the village, intermediate, and district levels shall be elected directly by the people by the process secret ballot.
- The chairperson of panchayat at the intermediate and district levels shall be elected indirectly by and from amongst the elected members.
- The chairperson of a panchayat at the village level shall be elected in such a manner as the state legislature determines.
73rd AMENDMENT ACT OF 1992:
- It added a new Part-IX to the Constitution of India.
- This part is entitled ‘The Panchayats’ and consists of provisions from Articles 243 to 243 O.
- It also added the Eleventh Schedule to the Constitution.
- This schedule contains 29 functional items of the panchayats.
- It deals with Article 243-G
- The act has given a practical shape to Article 40 of the DPSP of the Constitution which says that “The State shall take steps to organize village panchayats and endow them with such powers and authority as may be necessary to enable them to function as units of self-government.”