Correct Answer - Option 1 : Gram Panchayat
The correct answer is Gram Panchayat.
- The Gram Panchayat is established on the basis of direct election.
- Gram Panchayat is a basic village governing institute in Indian villages.
- The panchayat is chaired by the president of the village, known as a Sarpanch.
- The Secretary of the panchayat is a non-elected representative, appointed by the state government, to oversee panchayat activities.
- The term of the elected representatives is five years.
- The main functions of the Gram Panchayat are to maintain and construct water resources, roads, drainage, School buildings, and CPR (common property resources). Levy and collect local taxes. Execute government schemes related to employment.
- In such a system, each villager can voice his opinion in the governance of his village.
Block committee is a rural local government body at the Tehsil (taluka) level in India. Block Pramukh is the head of the Block Committee.
- The duties of the Block Samiti include coordinating projects and funding between the district and village levels, supporting current development projects, designing new development projects, maintaining public utilities, managing hospitals, and health centers, and managing schools and other education programs.
The Zila Parishad is formed by the Chairman of all Block Samitis in-district members of Lok Sabha and Rajya Sabha from the district members of Vidhan Sabha and Vidhan Parishad from the district and representatives of SC ST and women.
The main functions of Zila Parishad are :
- Supervises the working of the Panchayats and the Block Samitis.
- Acts as a link between the Panchayat and the Block Samitis.
- Advises the State government on the working of the Panchayati Raj system and approves the budget of the Block Samitis and distributes funds among them.