Correct Answer - Option 3 : CFC
The correct answer is CFC.
Human activities that affect the environment:
The growing world affects the environment around us both in the atmosphere and the ground.
- The Ozone layer & its depletion.
- The management of garbage we produce.
We generate a lot of material that is thrown away. Like plastics, glasses, metals, organic waste, chemical waste etc.
Ozone (O3) is a molecule formed by three atoms of oxygen. Ozone is a deadly poison.
Ozone is found in the stratosphere layer of the atmosphere.
- However, at the higher levels of the atmosphere, ozone performs an essential function. It shields the surface of the earth from ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the Sun.
- This radiation is highly damaging to organisms, for example, it is known to cause skin cancer in human beings or can split the DNA.
- The amount of ozone in the atmosphere began to drop sharply in the 1980s.
- This decrease has been linked to synthetic chemicals like chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs) which are used as refrigerants and in fire extinguishers.
- The government bans those products which contain CFCs.
The correct option for the depletion of the ozone layer is Chlorofluorocarbons (CFC's).