Correct Answer - Option 2 : 1939-45
World War II was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945.
- World War II was a global war that lasted from 1939 to 1945.
- It involved the vast majority of the world's countries—including all the great powers—forming two opposing military alliances: the Allies and the Axis.
- German troops invaded Poland on September 1, 1939, triggering World War II.
- In response to German aggression, Great Britain and France declared war on Nazi Germany.
- So, in 1939, the British Viceroy, Lord Linlithgow declared India's entry into the War without consulting prominent Indian Congress leaders who were just elected in previous elections.
- British Government of India immediately joined the war without consulting Indian leaders.
- Congress was against joining the war.
Hence, 1939-45 is the period of the second world war.