Correct Answer - Option 4 : Suitable for track-circuited areas
Wooden sleepers are made of wooden elements, especially timber. Sal, Teak, Deodar are the most common types of timber used for the manufacture of wooden sleepers. While, Steel sleepers are constructed with steel elements, which are generally manufactured using thick steel sheets.
Advantages of Steel Sleepers over Wooden Sleepers:
- Steel sleepers are light in weight and require fewer fastenings.
The gauges in steel sleepers can be easily maintained and adjusted.
- Their scrap value more than the wooden sleepers.
- The life of steel sleepers is more than wooden sleepers.
- Steel Sleeper has good lateral stability.
Disadvantages of Steel Sleepers over Wooden Sleepers:
- The initial cost of steel sleepers is more than wooden sleepers.
- Steel sleepers are liable to corrosion.
- Steel Sleepers are not suitable for all types of ballast, While, Wooden sleepers are suitable for all types of ballast.
- Wooden sleepers absorb shocks and vibration, and this ensures a more convenient journey to the passengers than steel Sleepers.
- Wooden Sleepers are best suitable for track circuiting.