Correct Answer - Option 2 : Educational guidance
Nature of Guidance
- The guidance covers the whole process of education which starts from the birth of the child. As the individuals need help throughout their lives, it is not wrong to say that guidance is needed from cradle to grave.
- If we consider the literal meaning, to guide means to indicate, to point out, to show the way. It means more than to assist. If an individual slip on the road we assist him/her to get up but we do not guide him unless we help him/her to go in a certain direction.
- The term guidance is related to all types of education-formal, non-formal, vocational, etc. wherein the aim is to help the individual to adjust to his/her environment in an effective way. It can also he said that guidance is given to individuals in making appropriate choices and adjustments. Guidance has been defined from different points of view.
There are three types of Guidance as follows:
- Educational guidance is concerned with the assistance given to students in their choice and adjustment in relation to school, curriculum, courses, and school life.
- Emphasis is given to assistance to students to perform satisfactorily in their academic work and optimally utilize institutional resources.
- It is primarily concerned with the problems related to courses, curriculum, and study.
Objectives of Educational Guidance
- To monitor the academic progress of the students.
- To acquaint the students with the prescribed curriculum.
- To identify the academically gifted, backward, creative, and another category of special learners.
- To assist students in getting information about further education.
- To diagnose the learning difficulties of students and help them overcome the same.
- Vocational guidance as defined by George Myers is a process of assisting the individual to choose an occupation, prepare them for it, enter upon, and progress in it. It is not concerned with doing things for the individual but by helping the individual to do certain things for himself. It is a process rather than merely a body of methods by which the process is carried on.
Objectives of Vocational Guidance
- Assisting the students to acquire such knowledge of the characteristics and functions, duties, responsibilities, and rewards of occupations that are within the range of this choice.
- Assisting a pupil to discover his own abilities and skills and to fit them into general requirements of the occupation under consideration.
- Assisting the pupil to evaluate his own capabilities and interests with regard to their worth to him and to society.
- Helping the individual develop an attitude towards work that will dignify whatever type of occupation he may wish to enter.
- Personal guidance is the assistance given to students to solve their emotional problems and to help them control their emotions and feelings. Several emotional problems have been identified during adolescence. Hostility, frustration, anxiety, fear, jealousy, fear of favoritism, etc., are common emotional problems that have their origin inside or outside school. The aim of personal guidance is to help students in such a way so that they do not involve themselves in anti-social activities. They should be given help to overcome prejudices and negative attitudes.
- The purpose of personal guidance is to help the individual to help him/herself in regard to his/her physical, emotional, social, moral, and spiritual development.
Objectives of Personal Guidance
- To help the individual in his physical, emotional, social, moral, and spiritual development and adjustment.
- This leads to different activities to be organized for example for physical development, play activities of children have to be properly organized, for emotional development to be provided with opportunities for self-expression.
Hence from the above points, we can conclude that if a student has graduated from a university and s/he wants help in making the choice of the stream of education, then educational guidance will be required.