Correct Answer - Option 1 : Elliptic trammels
Mechanism and Inversion
- When one of the links of a kinematic chain is fixed, the chain is known as mechanism
- It may be used for transmitting or transforming motion e.g. engine indicators, typewriters, etc.
- A mechanism with four links is known as a simple mechanism, and the mechanism with more than four links is known as compound mechanism
- We can obtain as many mechanisms as the number of links in the kinematic chain by fixing, in turn, different links in a kinematic chain.
- This method of obtaining different mechanisms by fixing different links in a kinematic chain is known as inversion of the mechanism.
Inversions of 4 bar mechanism
- Beam engine mechanism
- Coupling rod of locomotive
Inversions of Single slider-crank mechanism
- Cylinder-piston arrangement
- Whitworth quick return motion mechanism
- GNOME engine
- Crank and slotted lever quick return motion mechanism
- Oscillatory cylinder engine mechanism
- Pendulum pump
Inversions of Double slider-crank mechanism
- Elliptical trammel
- Scotch yoke mechanism
- Oldham's coupling