Correct Answer - Option 1 : Steam power station
Steam power station:
A generating station which converts heat energy of coal combustion into electrical energy is known
as a steam power station.
A steam power station basically works on the Rankine cycle. Steam is produced in the boiler by utilising the heat of coal combustion.
- The fuel (i.e., coal) used is quite cheap.
- Less initial cost as compared to other generating stations.
- It can be installed at any place irrespective of the existence of coal. The coal can be transported to the site of the plant by rail or road.
- It requires less space as compared to the hydroelectric power station.
- The cost of generation is lesser than that of the diesel power station.
- It pollutes the atmosphere due to the production of large amount of smoke and fumes.
- It is costlier in running cost as compared to hydroelectric plant.
- It requires lot of time for starting.