Correct Answer - Option 4 : 6 years to 11 years
Childhood is this age span ranging from birth to puberty. The three stages of childhood are-
- Early Childhood (The Preschool Years) (2-6 years)
- Middle Childhood (The School Years) (6 to age 11)
- Later Childhood (11-14 years of age)
Middle Childhood- The period extends from age 6 to age 11 years. During this time, the growth rate is slow but steady.
Characteristics of Middle Childhood:
- During middle childhood, children learn the values of their societies. Thus, the primary developmental task of middle childhood could be called integration, both in tams of development within the individual and of the individual within the social context.
- Physical development during middle childhood is less dramatic than in early childhood or adolescence. Growth is slow and steady until the onset of puberty when individuals begin to develop at a much quicker pace.
- Middle childhood is a time when children gain enthusiasm for learning and work, for achievement becomes a motivating factor at this stage.
- Middle childhood is also a time when children develop competence in intentional and social relationships. Children have a growing pea orientation, yet they are strongly influenced by their family.
- Social skills are learned through peer and family relationships. provide a necessary foundation for the challenges of adolescence. Best friends are important at this age.
- Middle childhood is a joyful time of increased independence, and developing interests, such as sports. art, or music. There is more pressure on schools to recognize problems in eight-to eleven-year-olds and to teach children the social and life skills that will help them continue to develop into healthy adolescents.
Note: Infancy stage starts from 0-2 years
Thus from the above-mentioned points, it is clear that Middle childhood is the period from 6 years to 11 years.