Correct Answer - Option 2 : 299
The Correct Answer is 299.
- The total strength of the Constituent Assembly was to be 389.
- The Constituent Assembly was constituted in November 1946 under the scheme formulated by the Cabinet Mission Plan.
- After the acceptance of the Mountbatten Plan of June 3, 1947, for the partition of the country the Muslim League members (hailing from the areas included in Pakistan) withdrew from the Constituent Assembly for India.
- Consequently, the total strength of the Assembly came down to 299 as against 389 originally fixed in 1946 under the Cabinet Mission Plan.
Functions Performed by the Constituent assembly
- It ratified India’s membership of the Commonwealth in May 1949.
- It adopted the national flag on July 22, 1947.
- It adopted the national anthem on January 24, 1950.
- It adopted the national song on January 24, 1950.
- It elected Dr. Rajendra Prasad as the first President of India on January 24, 1950.