Correct Answer - Option 4 : Unique characteristics
- Qualitative research is that research where number counting and statistical techniques are not the central issues, where an attempt is made to get close to the collection of data in its natural setting.
- Qualitative research is based on the disciplines of social sciences like psychology, sociology, and anthropology. Therefore, the qualitative research methods allow for in-depth and further probing and questioning of respondents based on their responses, where the interviewer/researcher also tries to understand their motivation and feelings. Understanding how your audience takes decisions can help derive conclusions in market research.
Qualitative research is concerned with developing explanations of social phenomena. It aims to help us to understand the world in which we live and why things are the way they are.
It is concerned with the social aspects of our world and seeks to answer questions about: Why people behave the way they do
This method is about “what” and “why” aspect of the study. For example, A teacher is looking into the academics achievement of students. Qualitative Research is about why students scoring well. A teacher may conduct an interview to find out the reasons.
Methods for collection in Qualitative Research are:
- Focus group
- Direct observation
- In-depth interview
- Diary method
- Roleplay & simulation
- Case study
Case studies are qualitative Research
- A case study is a deep, detailed, and intensive study of a social unit;
- It preserves the wholeness of the units i.e. it is an approach that views any social unit as a whole.
- It helps to collect detailed information about the unit of study and gives clues to new ideas and further research.
- As a tool of analysis, it helps to ascertain a number and variety of traits, qualities, and habits confined to a particular instance.
- The Case Study method shows the way to deepen our perception and sharpen insights to understand biographies.
- It gives importance to unique characteristics
- It focused on providing a detailed account of one or more cases.
- E.g. A case study on the impact of Lockdown on the adolescent student.
Hence, In educational research, case study method gives importance to unique characteristics.