Correct Answer - Option 3 : 1988
National Literacy Mission Authority
- Adult Education is a Concurrent Subject with both Central and State Governments being required to contribute to its promotion and strengthening. At the national level, the National Literacy Mission Authority (NLMA), an autonomous wing of MHRD is the nodal agency for overall planning and management and funding of Adult Education Programmes and institutions.
- Presently, the provision of adult education is through the Saakshar Bharat Programme (SBP) which is a centrally sponsored scheme. The National Literacy Mission Authority (NLMA), is the Nodal Agency at the National level.
- It was set up in 1988 with the approval of the Cabinet as an independent and autonomous wing of the Ministry of HRD (the then Department of Education). The Cabinet vested NLMA with full executive and financial powers in the sphere of work.
National Literacy Mission Authority is mandated with
- Policy and planning;
- Developmental and promotional activities;
- Operational functions including assistance to voluntary agencies and other NGOs,
- Technology demonstration
- Leadership training
- Resource development including media and materials
- Research and development
- Monitoring and evaluation etc.