1. Attach a small piece of steel wire to one of the prongs of a tuning fork as shown in the figure.
2. Strike the tuning fork with a rubber hammer.
3. While it is vibrating, try to draw a straight line on a piece of smoked glass as quick as possible with, it.
4. Keep the end of the wire in such a way just it touches the glass.
5. A line is formed in the form of a wave.
6. Repeat the experiment when the tuning fork is not vibrating and observe the difference in the line.
- We have produced vibrations in the tuning fork by striking it with a hammer.
- Thus the vibrating tuning fork produces sound.
- Thus the sound is produced by vibrating bodies.