Value points :
The Diary of a Young Girl-Role of Anne’s Diary :
• Diary – an important part of Anne’s life
• Best friend with whom she could share her thoughts, experiences and feelings
• A great source of comfort for Anne
• The Diary listened without giving any advice
• Helped Anne to express her feelings because Anne wrote in it all the things she thought about.
• Very possessive about the Diary
• A new and strange experience – gave Anne a chance to share those feelings which she could not share with anybody else.
Detailed Answer :
Living and hiding in the secret annexe was twice as hard for the children than the adults because they were always told to hold on to their opinions at the time when their ideals were being shattered by the mayhem of war. In these adverse circumstance, diary became part and parcel in Anne’s life. She used to express her feelings through diary thus diary had become her best friend. She was so dovoted to her diary that she could share her thoughts, experiences and feelings with is without any fear of being exposed. This diary was a great source of comfort for the writer. Whenever, she was alone, she could converse with her diary everything with her. Her diary listened her thoughts without giving any advice or protest. She never felt alone because her diary .used to help her to fight her loneliness. Her diary had a transformative power that took everyday mundane activities and helped her to express her feelings because Anne wrote in it all the things she thought about. Anne deftly navigated her inner and out world as weaving them together through her contemplative stance on life. Her diary not only captures her personal journey but also gives as a commentary on the social and cultured atmosphere and specially the experience of the war which was a new and strange experience and her diary gave a chance to share her those feelings which she could not share with anybody else. Thus, the diary plays a vital role in Annes life.