Differences between Primary Memory and Secondary Memory:
In this lesson, we have talked about both primary and secondary memory. Both are quite useful in their own way, now we will look at the difference between the both.
1. Primary memory is also called internal memory. Secondary memory is also called backup memory or auxiliary memory.
2. Primary memory can be accessed by data bus while secondary memory is accessed through I/O channels.
3. Primary memory data is accessed directly by the processing unit. Secondary memory data cannot be accessed directly by the processor.
4. Primary memory is more expensive than secondary memory. Secondary memory is cheaper than primary memory.
5. Primary memory is both unstable and static. Secondary memory is always unchanging memory.