Function of liver can be broadly categorized into two types, viz. synthesis and breakdown.
• A large part of amino acid synthesis happens in liver.
• Liver has many roles in carbohydrate metabolism and lipid metabolism.
• Main part of protein metabolism, synthesis and degradation takes place in liver.
• Liver produces coagulation factors I (fibrinogen), II (prothrombin), V, VII, IX, X and XI. It also produces protein C, protein S and antithrombin.
• Liver is the main site of RBC production during the first trimester of foetus.
• Liver produces bile.
• Breakdown of insulin and other hormones, haemogloin, some toxic substances and conversion of ammonia into urea takes place in liver.