Differences between a multiple shops and a Department store:
1. A multiple shop serves the masses, whereas a department store serves mainly the rich.
2. A multiple shop approaches the customers through a net work of branches, whereas a department store makes the customers approach it by having its business in a ’ central place.
3. A multiple shop sells goods only on cash basis, whereas a department store sells goods both on cash and credit basis.
4. The essential feature of a multiple shop is centralized buying and decentralized selling. But the essential feature of a department store is decentralized buying and centralized selling.
5. As a multiple shop establishment is distributed over large area, it has a larger number of customers than a department store.
6. The prices charged by a multiple shop are lower than those of a department store, because the overhead charges of a multiple shop are less than those of a department store.
7. The formation of a multiple shop involves the opening of many similar branches in different localities. But the formation of a department store involves the shopping of several separate departments in the same premises.
8. A multiple shop can be formed in any place where there are buyers. So, the selection of a site for the opening of a branch is not difficult problem.
9. A multiple shop deals only in one variety of articles, whereas a department store deals in many varieties of articles.
10. As a multiple shop deals in one variety of articles, it cannot meet all the needs of the customers. But as a department store deals in many varieties of articles, it can meet all the requirements of the articles.