Recognition of any outstanding achievements is highly motivating and more so when it comes from the top functionary of prevailing system. The Government of India, inrecognition of meritious achievements in games and sports has instituted following National Awards for outstanding sports persons and coaches.
l. Arjuna Award
2. Rajeev Gandhi Khel Ratna Award
3. Dronacharya Award
Arjuna Award:- Arjuna award is the supreme honour, which is awarded to sportspersons by the Government of India. This award is given to such sports persons who has given extraordinary performance during the past three years. This award was started in 1961 in name of( Mahabharata Arjuna)This award includes a statue of Arjuna , a diploma and five lakh rupees cash. The President of India presents this award on 29 August(The birthday of legendary, hockey wizard Late Dhyan chand, Olympian)every year.
Selection committee:- Consists of five Olympians, four Arjuna Awardees, Two sports Administrators and one sports secretary.
Rules for Arjuna Awards:- Its main aim is to improve the standards of sports in country.
2. The government of India demands the list of sports persons from National sports Federations which is recognized.
3. The total numbers of Arjuna Award are restricted to 15, one award in each discipline, however in can be increased in extraordinary performance by a sportsperson.
4. Sports Federation send a list of three players, in which one will be selected but in case of female two awards will be given one male and one female.
Categories of competitions:- 1. Olympic/Asian/Commonwealth Games and Cricket.
2. Indigenous Games
3. Physically Challenged Category