1. Metals are electropositive.
2. Metals combine with oxygen and forms metallic oxides.
3. Metallic oxides are bases.
4. Metallic oxides are insoluble in water. But some oxides soluble in water and forms alkalies.
5. Metals react with water and forms metallic oxides and Hydrogen gas.
6. Again these metallic oxides dissolve in water and forms metallic hydroxides.
7. Metals produce chlorides. These are electrovalent or Ionic compounds.
1. Non-metals react with metals and gain electrons and forms cations.
2. Most of the Non-metals dissolve in water and forms. Acidic or Neutral oxides.
3. Non-metals do not displace Hydrogen from dilute acids.
4. Non-metals react with Hydrogen and forms Hydrides.