Skinfold measurements are also called as “fatfold thickness”.These measurements provide the information or data of the thickness of double folds of the skin and sub cutaneous adipose tissue at specific sites of the body. ln simple words skinfold provides the information about general fatness of the body.
The procedure of skinfold measurements is as under-
1. Triceps Skinfold - The arm of the subject or child should be hung loosely.Stand behind the subject and pull the vertical skinfold about 1/2 inch from the spot already marked.Keep the skinfold caliper perpendicular to the length of the fold centering the mark.Record the measurement to the nearest millimeter.
2. Sub scapula skinfold- After locating the marked point on the sub scapular region , pull a skin fold for about 34 inch above and keep the skin fold caliper perpendicular to the length of skinfold.Release the caliper and note the measurement to the nearest millimeter.
3. Suprailiac skinfold- The subject should stand straight with his feet together and arms relaxed.Pull a skinfold 34 inch above the marked point with the thumb and index finger.The skinfold caliper should be kept perpendicular to the
length of skin fold.Release the caliper and note the reading on the dial to the nearest of millimeter and record it.
4. Abdomen skinfold - After locating the already marked point, pull a horizontal skinfold to about 34 inch. Place the skinfold caliper perpendicular to the length of skinfold.Release the caliper and note the readingto the nearest of millimeter and record it.
5. Thigh skinfold — The person is made to stand with his weight on the left leg and right leg forward with knee slightly bent.Grip a skinfold on the already marked area on the mid thigh.Place the skinfold caliper and note the reading to the nearest of millimeter and record it.