Important functions of blood are given as under:
- Transport of oxygen from the lungs to the tissues and carbon dioxide from the tissues to the lungs.
- It carries food material absorbed from the intestines to the tissue, cells for growth, energy and repair process.
- It carries the waste products of cellular activity and carries them to kidneys, lungs and intestines for excretion.
- It carries hormones, vitamin and other chemicals to the place of need.
- It helps to maintain water balance in the body.
- It regulates the body temperature.
- White blood cells of the blood acts as a defensive mechanism