SAARC was established in 1985 at Dhaka in Bangladesh. For the mutual cooperation and improvement among the nations, national state heads of seven countries formed an organisation named South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC).
These seven national leaders were the following :
- Rajiv Gandhi, Prime minister of India
- Zia-Ul-Haq, President of Pakistan
- Hussain Khurshid, President of Bangladesh.
- Bir Bikram Birendra Shah, king of Nepal.
- Jigme Singye Wangchuk, king of Bhutan.
- Julius Richard Jayawardane, President of Sri Lanka.
- Maumun Gayum, President of Maldives.