Meaning of Non-Alignment: Every nation needs the recognition of the contemporary world. Its glorification does not depend on its being part of a bloc or superpower but on its independent stand. When two or more nations raise their voice to remain independent on an international platform then it is termed as ‘Non-Alignment’. This movement came into existence in 1961.
Objectives : The main objectives of NAM are as follows :
1. It opposed colonialism and imperialism.
2. Criticisim of racial discrimination.
3. Peaceful coexistence among the nations. .
4. It must not be a member of a military group.
5. Promotion of world peace. ,
7. Establishment of exploitation-free economic relations among nations on the basis of equality.
Relevance of Non-Aligned movement at the present time :
- NAM continues to be a global movement, a movement of all the third-world countries which constitute 2/3rd of the total membership of the world community.
- It has all along been a movement against neo-colonialism.
- NAM stood committed to secured restructuring of international economic relations with a view to make these fair and equitable for all the countries, developed as well as developing.