Ethnicity : Ethinicity is a situation when a social group which is generally a minority in a society shares within itself a common culture and a we-feeling. Ehnicity refers to a category of people who identify with each other on the basis of common ancestral, social, cultural, or national experiences.
Following are the features of ethnicity :
• It is primarily an inherited status.
• Its members have shared cultural heritage, origin, myth, ancestry, homeland, language and/or dialect, symbolic systems such as religion, history, mythology and ritual, dressing style, cuisine, art and physical appearance.
• The members have a belief that they are culturally distinctive and different from the outsiders.
• The ethnic group has a very strong sense of solidarity.
• They are generally a territorial group as well.
• Ethnic divisions are social groups- people within the group share a common culture-they are like in groups and have
• the ‘we’ feeling.
• Ethnic groups are characterized by discrimination by other groups.
• Ethnic groups are generally not the dominant group.
• Historical conditions influence ethnic group interrelationships.
• Position and significance of ethnic groups varies from society to society.