In 1958 third Asian games were held in Tokyo where India gave a very poor performance specifically in Hockey. We lost in the finals. The defeat in Hockey gave a major shock to the Govt, of India and all concerned with sports in our country. To improve the performance in sports, All India Council of Sports advised the Govt, of India to abolish the Raj Kumari Coaching Scheme and establish National Institute of Sports at Patiala. This NIS was renamed ‘Netaji Subhash National Institute of Sports’ on the 76th birth anniversary of Netaji.
• To give a scientific orientation to the coaching profession.
• To provide systematic and coaching to our National teams.
• To promote sports in youngsters.
• To promote games and sports in different parts of country.
• To develop sports in the country.