Steps followed for laundering a silk garment are as follows :
1. Preparation: Firstly examine the garments for holes, tears and stains.
2. Steeping: If the garments are much soiled it can be done in luke warm or cold water for a short time (10-15 minutes).
3. Washing: Should be washed with gentle handling using kneading and squeezing method. Use neutral soaps for washing.
4. Rinsing: Should be done in clear tap water. Last rinse with vinegar increases lusture of silk garment.
5. Stiffening: It requires a treatment of gum water for stiffness, proper shape and shine.
6. Drying and Ironing: Coloured silk should be dried in shade while white silk in sunlight. Silk should be properly ironed before they are completely dry.