Liver is the largest digestive gland of the body which is reddish brown in colour. It is divided into two main lobes, right and left lobes. On the undeside of the liver, the gall bladder is present. It stores the bile which is secreted by the liver. The bile is secreted into the smll intestine when food enters it. Bile helps in the digestion of fats.
Functions of Liver:
- Controls blood sugar and amino acid levels
- Synthesizes foetal red blood cells
- Produces fibrinogen and prothrombin, used for clotting of blood
- Destroys red blood cells
- Stores iron, copper, vitamins A and D.
- Produces heparin (an anticoagulant)
- Excretes toxic and metallic poisons
- Detoxifies substances including drugs and alcohol