Skills required for career in consumer field are-
- Knowledge about consumer protection mechanisms and redressal agencies
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Empathetic and understanding attitude
- Good listener
- Creative in developing programmes (advertisements, talks, etc.)
- Writing skills for developing educational material for consumer education
- Willingness to help fellow consumers
Career opportunities are-
1. Work in government organizations like
- (BIS ) Bureau of Indian Standards,
- Directorate of Marketing and Inspection,(Ag MARK )
- Ministry of Consumer Affairs in managerial and technical positions.
2. Work in voluntary consumer organizations( VOICE/CERC) for product testing to create consumer awareness and publishing of magazines.
3. Work in consumer division of corporate houses that deal with consumer complaints and suggestions.
4. Work with market research organization in areas of consumer behaviour, product reach, and consumer acceptance of new products, consumer feedback and suggestion
5. Work in National Consumer Helpline for consumer counselling