1. Red soil develops on crystalline igneous rocks in areas of low rainfall.
2. Red soil is found in parts of Odisha and Chhattisgarh, southern parts of the middle of Ganga plain and along the piedmont zone of the Western ghats.
3. Red soil develops a reddish colour due to diffusion of iron in crystalline and metamorphic rocks.
1. Laterite soil develops in areas with high temperature and heavy rainfall.
2. Laterite soil is mainly found in Karnataka, Kerala and the hilly areas of Odisha and Assam.
3. In laterite soil, humus content is very low.