Choose the most appropriate synonyms for the underlined words.
1. The narrator was contributing safely to the gradual crescendo.
2. There was a rustle of excitement.
3. The auctioneer looked inquiringly first at the opener and then at the company.
4. Mv blood congealed arround the cut.
(d) showed down
5. There was a curious smothered noise from my friend.
6. That was a nice pickle to be in.
7. I had become a purchaser of a picture I didn’t want to own.
8. He had left me not out of baseness as I discovered later.
9. He deserted me to find a remote place to laugh.
10. The narrator wondered if money lenders who talk so glibly about “note of hand” really mean it.
11. He started specultaing on the possibility of confessing his poverty.
12. I pulled myself together sufficiently to hand my card nonchalantly.
(c) coolly / unconcernedly
(d) with concern
13. The stafflooked prosperous.
14. A genuine mistake could have been rectified.
15. A career of rectitude has rewards.
16. The rewards are beyond the consciousness of virtue.
17. Even among the best of us there is wordly guile.
18. He became suddenly grave.
(a) light hearted
19. It is indelibly branded on letters of fire on my heart.